This update is for the week of April 16, 2012.
Please note: Roadway closures indicate areas where roads are closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic. Pedestrian access adjacent to these closures will be maintained at all times.
I-10 and West End of Line
This area of the project includes the west side of Interstate 10, Cushing Street under I-10 to Granada Avenue and Granada Avenue to Congress Street. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- No traffic control associated with the Modern Streetcar project is scheduled in the west side of I-10 area for the week of April 16, 2012.
This area of the project includes Congress Street and Broadway through downtown from Granada Avenue to 5th Avenue. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- During the week of April 16, Arizona Avenue between Congress Street and Broadway will be closed between 8 p.m. and 6 a.m. while Southwest Gas completes utility work. This work is expected to be complete by April 27. Arizona Avenue will be open to traffic during the day.
- ONGOING: 6th Avenue has been converted to two-way traffic between Broadway and 6th Street, including the 6th Avenue underpass. This traffic control change will help facilitate traffic flow during the closure of Congress Street.
- ONGOING: Congress Street is closed to vehicular traffic between Toole Avenue and Stone Avenue. This curb to curb construction will require 24 hour closures and is expected to be in place for four months.
- ONGOING: Toole Avenue between Congress Street and 5th Avenue is one-way northbound travel only.
- ONGOING: Motorist and cyclists traveling southbound on Toole Avenue must exit at 5th Avenue. Local business access to the Historic Depot will be maintained.
- ONGOING: During Congress Street work, there will be intermittent closures of 5th Avenue and 6th Avenue at Congress Street.
- ONGOING: Scott Avenue is closed at Congress Street for approximately four months. Access to businesses north and south of the intersection, as well as access to parking garages off Scott Avenue, will be maintained.
- Construction on Congress Street includes curb to curb removal of asphalt and major excavation for utility relocations before the roadway is reconstructed with rail. The extensive nature of this work requires full closures 24 hours per day.
Fourth Avenue and University Boulevard
This area of the project includes 4th Avenue from the 4th Avenue underpass to University Boulevard, University Boulevard to Main Gate Square, and Park Avenue to 2nd Street. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- ONGOING: 4th Avenue is closed to vehicular and bicycle traffic between 6th Street and University Boulevard. This closure will be in place for approximately four months.
- Pedestrian access along 4th Avenue will be maintained at all times.
U of A and Health Sciences Center
This area of the project includes 2nd Street to Warren Avenue, the Warren Avenue underpass and a section of Helen Street that connects to the Health Science Center. Traffic control in this area is as follows:
- On Monday, April 16, through Tuesday, April 17, a portion of 2nd Street between Palm Drive and Mountain Avenue will be closed while the contractor performs underground utility work. This work will affect access to the alleyway just west of Mountain Avenue. During this work, access to this alleyway will only be available from Speedway Boulevard.
- ONGOING: Detours may be in place along 2nd Street from Park Avenue to Mountain Avenue for underground utility work. Please observe all signage when driving or cycling through the work zone.
- ONGOING: 2nd Street from Park Avenue to Olive Road will be closed to facilitate tunnel and underground utility work.