Sharon Kotecki said Howard and another cyclist touched handlebars causing them both to go down. Howard slid face first into a police motorcycle.
Officials closed the course behind the crash until medical personell could stabilize Howard and take him to the hospital.
Perimeter Bicycling of America’s lawyer Kevin Sherlock said on Saturday that Howard was taken to UMC and the report was that he was OK and had no broken bones, but did have some serious road rash.
The second cyclist in the crash was able to get up and finish the ride.
I am waiting on more details from Perimeter officials.
More 2012 El Tour de Tucson coverage:
- Story: Marcotte makes it three at 30th El Tour de Tucson
- Story: Olympic cyclist John Howard taken to hospital after El Tour crash
- Video: El Tour de Tucson 2012
- Social Media: 2012 El Tour Roundup
- Photos: 2012 El Tour de Tucson