Editor’s note: This post was written by Colby Henley one of Tucson Velo’s newest contributors. Henley is a daily bicycle commuter and advocate.
The City of Tucson installed its first bike corral in front of the Rialto Theater in August 2009, the second at Time Market in October 2009, and the third at Epic Cafe in April 2010. Since then, no new corrals have been installed, but Tucson’s bicycle and pedestrian program manager Tom Thivener maintains a list of potential future locations, including some along the Modern Streetcar route that would need to be temporary installations or delayed altogether due to streetcar construction.
Thivener said that businesses that would like to have the city install a bike corral on the street near their location can submit a written request to the city. The requesting business would need to be okay with losing an on-street car parking space and need to get approval from any other businesses within 50 feet of the lost space. Additionally, if the space has a parking meter, approval from Parkwise would also be needed.
Here’s the list of potential future bike corral locations:
- 7th Street at 4th Ave
- 48 W. Pennington – City High
- 135 S. 6th Ave – Downtown Kitchen north of new sidewalk extension
- Treat north of Speedway – Xoom Juice
- Copper east of Campbell – Blue Willow
- 123 S. Stone - Cope Behavioral Health
- Pennington near Stone – University of Arizona
- Congress Street west of Stone – Fox Theater (streetcar)
- Congress Street – Yoga/Sparkroot (streetcar)
- Food Conspiracy Coop/Cafe Passe/Antigone Books (streetcar)
Where else do you think would be a good location for a bike corral?